Sunday 17 March 2013

Today I'm gonna teach you like it's 1999: Part 1


I’m a huge advocate of exploiting new technology in education and have spent the last couple of years promoting the informed use of social media in schools. However, I’m a much bigger advocate of meaningful learning experiences and opportunities for creativity and engagement. A tension often exists between the prevalence of modern technology and remembering what effective teaching and learning is. At his recent BETT speech, Professor Brian Cox suggested replacing interactive whiteboards in school with blackboards, and I would agree that using technology for the sake of it can undermine more traditional strategies that work. Is it time that we had a fresh look at the role of technology in education rather than pursuing the rather lazy assumption that all technology is good for learning?

I started my NQT year in 1999. It very quickly dawned on me that the impact of my lessons had a positive correlation with the amount of time and thought I put into planning and assessment. Teaching through the use of ICT had been touched on in my PGCE year but was very much seen as a sideshow for the main event and engagement in lessons relied heavily on the imagination and creativity of my planning which often aimed to give my students the opportunity to be imaginative and creative in class. Images and quotes were displayed on the Overhead Projector, worksheets were often homemade and bespoke for individual classes and students. My classes were teacher-led without being didactic and students were given opportunities to engage in content using various activities and assessment tools. In 2000 my classroom became the first in the school to have the blackboard replaced with an interactive whiteboard. People came to observe me and my magic board and I was sent out to other schools to help train staff on how to make the best use of this new technology. I desperately searched in vain for software which would exploit the capabilities of the whiteboard so that it didn’t just become a glorified OHP but eventually I, like the majority of the profession since, settled on the tool which seemed most relevant: Microsoft PowerPoint.

PowerPoint made us lazy. Like all these things, it’s not the fault of the software, which can create amazingly engaging presentations, but the way it has been used in our profession. I used to start planning lessons with a key question in mind which would lead to some creative thinking about how best to engage my students in the topic followed by creative resource-making. Now I was starting my planning with this:

PowerPoint was not designed with teaching and learning in mind. It is a presentation tool. Effective lessons are not presentations. Presentations are used, largely in the world of business, to inform or persuade. The presenter usually has some information (e.g. sales figures) or ideas (e.g. marketing strategy) which the audience, either through genuine interest or because it is their job, are willing to listen to. Teachers may well have information and ideas that they would love their audience to absorb in this way, but this is not the reality of children or schools. Presentation/lectures clearly have a place in higher education, are just about possible at times at post-16 level but are definitely a no-go area for a year 10 class on a wet Thursday afternoon.
So why have we persisted with PowerPoint presentations for the last decade? I blame the assumption that new technology is always a good thing in education. We have been encouraged to ask questions of the use of ICT in lessons – if the technology is available, why isn’t it being used? Every staff INSET, parent information meeting, training course and student-led presentation is delivered on PowerPoint (or Keynote, Prezi etc), so, we concluded, should every lesson. This has made us lazy. Consider the amount of time that has been spent on summarising content into bullet-points, searching for appropriate images and adding animation effects and how this time could have invested in considering creative learning opportunities. PowerPoint appeals to our lazy gene – we even steal presentations off other teachers so we don’t have to expend effort on creating our own (some call this sharing best practice).

The presentation is not the presentation. Starting with PowerPoint just encourages us to deliver content. That’s bad enough on its own, but delivering it in a dull and inspiring manner is as bad as my old Deputy Headteacher dictating from the Bible in RS lessons.

PowerPoint is a great example of how technology can kill creativity. It is not alone. The all-too familiar practical obstacles of using computers in class must be bane of ICT teachers’ lives -  ‘I’ve forgotten my password’, ‘I’m still waiting for it to log-in’, ‘let me just finish this level’. Yet we all still clamour to book that period in the ICT room so we can deliver a tired PowerPoint presentation to our class before letting them free to produce their own tired PowerPoint presentation so they too can deliver content to a disinterested audience. Where’s the learning?

This was less of an issue in 1999. Most classrooms didn’t have computers and ICT suites were used to teach ICT competencies. Good teachers used planning time to create engaging activities. Good teachers still do this, but there is a danger that PowerPoint and the availability of online resource sharing sites has made teachers spend more time on the presentation than the way in which their students might learn the skills or knowledge.

In my next post I’ll propose how we might consider ways of embracing technology and social media outside of the classroom while at the same time resisting the shackles that these things can bring to the creativity and imagination of what actually happens in our lessons.


No comments:

Post a Comment